Gonzales Real Estate
Gonzales is located between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, and is part of one of the fastest growing areas in the state – Ascension Parish. It is the center for much of what makes south Louisiana truly unique and wonderful.
The area is home to some of the south’s most interesting and informative tourist attractions. There are no less than a dozen Antebellum plantation homes within a short drive just ready for your visit. And Gonzales is known for some of the best restaurants in the country serving every cuisine you can think of. From the best Cajun and Creole menus to casual and fast food, they have it – after all Gonzales is known as the “Jambalaya Capital of the World!”.
Early History of Gonzales
Early settlers of the area which would eventually become Gonzales were, for the most part, of Spanish and French ancestry, settling amidst the Houma Indians who lived in the area. By 1851, the small settlement had only ten residents. A school was established in 1855 by Adlard Gautreaux for the children in the area. By 1886, the settlement had grown to where the citizens of the community elected “Big” José Gonzáles as their sheriff. Joseph’s son, “Tee-Joe” Gonzales, opened a general store and post office in 1887. Because the post office was known as the Gonzales Post Office, a few years later the Railroad Commission ordered the local railroad to change the name of the community from Edenborn to Gonzales to match the post office name.
The center of Gonzales, known as Chips Grocery, came into being in the late 70s. The previous center was known as the “Fish N Pic.”
The railroad assisted in the growth of Gonzales. It was officially incorporated as a village in 1922 by then Louisiana Governor John Parker with Joseph Gonzales becoming the first mayor. The village continued to grow with the construction of Airline Highway, and Earl K. Long proclaimed Gonzales a town in 1952 during his term as governor. The first Jambalaya Festival was held in 1968, and Governor John J. McKeithen marked the occasion by proclaiming Gonzales the “jambalaya capital of the world.” Following the growth of industrial corporations in the area, the town finally became a city in 1977 following a proclamation by Governor Edwin Edwards. Gonzales became better known in 2005, when Hurricane Katrina struck. The HSUS and other animal rescue groups along with the National Guard made a fairground in Gonzales their main search and rescue headquarters, as well as the location of storing pets picked up from New Orleans and many other locations. Some people were reunited with their lost pets at this same location.
- Rural Tract (No Subd) 1153
- River Highlands Estates 42
- Oakland Crossing 40
- Reserve, The 37
- Ivy, The 37
- Inniswylde 35
- University Club Plantation 29
- Bluffs The 27
- Parks At Water Oaks 25
- Settlement At Willow Grove 24
- Pointe Marie 23
- Settlement On Shoe Creek, The 23
- Fairlane Farms 22
- Village At Magnolia Square The 20
- Quarter At Copper Mill, The 19
- Pelican Point 18
- Country Club Of La 16
- Lakeview 16
- Cove At Bluff Creek, The 16
- Oak Lake 16