Denham Springs Real Estate
About the Community of Denham Springs
Denham Springs is a city in Livingston Parish, Louisiana, United States, and part of the Baton Rouge. Downtown Denham Springs has transformed itself from hardware stores, drug stores, doctor’s offices, and a single movie theater to a collection of various and varied forms of antique dealers. The downtown area is now called the Denham Springs Antique Village. Denham Springs has a Mardi Gras Parade held two Saturdays before Mardi Gras. Denham Springs hosts the Springfest, held on the last Saturday in April. Denham Springs is the largest area of commercial and residential development in Livingston Parish, and the only parish municipality classified as a city.
The original land claims of John Noblet and Alexander Hogue form what is now the older section of Denham Springs, including the first residential and business districts. In 1828, William Denham, a Wilkinson County, Miss. native, married Mercy Hogue, the daughter of Alexander Hogue, and three months later purchased the 640 acres originally claimed by his father-in-law.Denham purchased the land and a slave for $1,350.
A popular belief, supported by previously published histories, is that William Denham discovered the mineral springs on his property and that a health resort quickly grew up there. This belief defies logic, however, considering the number of springs which may be found in this area even today, and the length of time that elapsed before Denham arrived on the scene. No doubt Hogue and other early residents of the area depended on the springs for drinking water.
Population in 1990 was 8,381, in 2000, 8,757, and increased to 10,308 by 2008.
The city is situated at the intersections of the east-west highways, US 190 and Interstate 12, with La. Hwy. 16, the major north-south artery in western Livingston Parish. Denham Springs is also located on the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad, a line which played a large role in the city’s early development. The Amite River also forms a portion of the municipality’s boundary, but the river is not navigable at this point. Ground-water springs which come to the surface at the base of the low- lying ridge which runs through the center of the city have figured in the city’s name since at least the 1850s.
All information about Hoffman Estates courtesy of Wikipedia.
- Rural Tract (No Subd) 1347
- Bluffs The 87
- Settlement At Willow Grove 53
- University Club Plantation 52
- River Highlands Estates 45
- Ivy, The 43
- Copper Mill 39
- Pelican Point 36
- Carter Plantation 36
- Mariners Cove 36
- Sugar Mill Plantation 30
- Pointe Marie 29
- Meadow View 28
- Greystone Subd 28
- Santa Maria 26
- Woodlands The 26
- Cypress Lakes Estates 25
- Sanctuary At Oak Colony The 23
- Country Club Of La 23
- Audubon Lakes 22